Contact Us To Find Out More
The Weaver-Baynes-Swaney House is located at 303 South Main Street in the town of Greensboro, Georgia (located 75 miles east of Atlanta – 70 miles west of Augusta – 32 miles south of Athens – and 65 miles north of Macon). The house was originally built by William Wiley Daniel Weaver (“WWDW”) and his new bride, Caroline Mounger Weaver in 1824, and used lumber created from trees located on property owned by William, including doors and woodwork made of black walnut.
William was born in Halifax Co., NC, the son of Benjamin Weaver who served this country in the Revolutionary War as a private in the Raiford Company, 10th North Carolina Regiment under Colonel Abraham Shepard. Benjamin’s grandson, William Hudnall Morgan Weaver, one of WWD Weaver’s eight children, planted the pecan trees in the backyard of the property and named a tree for each child. William served as both a county judge and mayor of the city and was among the citizens of the town who organized the Mary Leila Cotton Mill in Greensboro in 1899.
On July 1, 1919, the heirs of the Weaver family conveyed the house and surrounding land to J.W. Evans, who owned it for 82 days before conveying it to James E. and Marguerite Jackson Baynes, who made it their home for the first 63 years of a combined 68 years of ownership by the Baynes family.
In August 1990, Jim and Suzanne Hudson and family began fifteen years of residence in the house, conveying it to Roman J. Terlecky and George Barnard in November of 2006. Roman and George enclosed the two sides porches on the front portion of the house, creating two additional sitting rooms, as well as adding over 1,000 square feet of heated living and entertaining space and over 2,000 square feet of deck space onto the rear portion of the house (bringing it to its current 5,235 square feet of heated interior floor space). Roman and George were very active in many local civic organizations and efforts, including the organization of the Oconee Performing Arts Society, and held many social functions in-house, including entertaining First Lady Laura Bush at a luncheon in May of 2009.
In August of 2013, Reverend Charles D. Swaney and his wife, Juanita, chose to spend their retirement years in Greensboro, and acquired the house, living in it until September 26, 2017, when Rev. Swaney, an ordained Methodist minister, passed away. Ms. Swaney continues to occupy the house and property as her primary residence, and has tastefully furnished it with period antique furnishings which match the historic past of the house and property.
A Special Thank You for the Historical Information and Anecdotes provided by Greene County Historian Joel McRay.